What R U Listening 2 Right Now?

• abend schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 16. Feb. 2008, 1:22
    There's usually a song I listen to for a year and 07 was marked by Ornette Coleman's Lonely Woman. The name of the album says it all: The Shape of Jazz to Come...done in 56 or 57...can't remember off the top of my head.

But at the mo' I've gotta say a couple of hip cats from the UK are humming in my ears: J-Treole and Soweto Kinch.

Some damn fine music on this list...I'm gonna have to check out some of the ska/reggae/roots that I'm not familiar with. Peace.

• abend said:
    There's usually a song I listen to for a year and 07 was marked by Ornette Coleman's Lonely Woman. The name of the album says it all: The Shape of Jazz to Come...done in 56 or 57...can't remember off the top of my head.

But at the mo' I've gotta say a couple of hip cats from the UK are humming in my ears: J-Treole and Soweto Kinch.

Some damn fine music on this list...I'm gonna have to check out some of the ska/reggae/roots that I'm not familiar with. Peace.

Shape of Jazz was OC's debut on Atlantic. His first of many gifts to us. Recorded May 22, 1959, released later that year.

Except for the May 22, that too was off the top of my head.

Lonely Woman is a great tune. I also love Geri Allen's version on piano, in a great trio setting with Charlie haden and Paul Motian.

jazzoetry is poetry--last poets
    In my writing I am acting as a map maker, an explorer of psychic areas, a cosmonaut of inner space, and I see no point in exploring areas that have already been thoroughly surveyed--William S. Burroughs
  • i'm listening to Otis Taylor, a fierce blues man on banjo. Man, his take on Jesus on White African is pretty dark.

In my writing I am acting as a map maker, an explorer of psychic areas, a cosmonaut of inner space, and I see no point in exploring areas that have already been thoroughly surveyed--William S. Burroughs
    • -tgt- schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 16. Feb. 2008, 4:10
    Listening to alot of oldschool , Yellowman & Eek-a-Mouse also discovering the works of Ahmed Abdul-Malik who was a bassist of Thelonious Monk. he also did great fusion experiments of Afro-Arabic music with Jazz (he is of Sudanese heritage), he recorded some of the earliest Jazz/Eastern Music fusions.

• Lilleboll schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 16. Feb. 2008, 6:17
    Mar Azul by the "barefoot diva" Cesaria Evora

Lb
    • wax40 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 21. Feb. 2008, 20:01
    Damian Marley - Paradaise child :)

Rastafarai evalivin, evafaithfull, evasure Selassie I :)
  • listening the great Charles Mingus song with orange from Mingus Dysnasty

• Lilleboll schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Feb. 2008, 17:12
    The Traveller - Jade Warrior ...lots of flutes and asian drums + progressive fusion rock ;)

Lb
    Bearbeitet von Lilleboll am 29. Feb. 2008, 8:17
  • the rolling stones Waiting on a friend,i know they're white but the sax solo by Sonny Rollins is awesome

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 13. Mär. 2008, 7:19
    Scientist - Dub War album.
    Style: Dub

• Lilleboll schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 15. Mär. 2008, 18:28
    Antidotes (2008) by Foals . . .
    some new "hype", but not so good so far...
    african beats ala talking heads mixed with punk-pop...

Lb
    • Benutzer
    • 16. Mär. 2008, 13:09
    • Benutzer
    • 16. Mär. 2008, 20:02
    Lonnie Johnson - Playing With The Strings

One of my favourite blues musicians... Highly recommended, especially album The Complete Folkways Recordings.

• Lilleboll schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 19. Mär. 2008, 5:44
    Tony Bennett & k.d. lang
    doing lots of
    Louis Armstrong
    songs together...

Lb
    • sabones schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 28. Mär. 2008, 22:26

dave hamilton's detroit funk

if you like your funk raw you better check it out. two thumbs up!

"It's Classic!"
  • Today, Turn Around and 911 by Donnie. Probably played them 10 times each today, lol.

This week though, I've had my 70s and 80s playlist going. I just discovered Chaka Khan (sad I know), I think I'm close to 40 plays this week alone haha.

• Sunday Morning, House Resting

Just finished Anthony Braxton's brilliant Town Hall 1972. Is there anyone out there who can decode those diagram titles?

Moving on to Open The Iron Gate 1973-1977, a Max Romeo hitscomp. Contains the memorable line: "I don't want to be no careless Ethiopian." The space in the arrangements echoes the space in the Braxton compositions.

P E A C E >

Join:

Great Black Music

P E A C E

• Re: Sunday Morning, House Resting

BlindWilliam said:
    Just finished Anthony Braxton's brilliant Town Hall 1972. Is there anyone out there who can decode those diagram titles?

P E A C E >

You mean other than AB? Maybe George Lewis. Or Sun Ra.

• Benutzer
    • 27. Apr. 2008, 15:23
    I'm listening to Curtis Mayfield... a lot of people seem to don't understand how important this music was.

• Lilleboll schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Apr. 2008, 16:14
    The Impressions are my favourite curtis music! get a Compilation with them and let the superfly rest some! :)

Lb
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Apr. 2008, 17:17
    ok, i'll do ;)

• Siah & Yeshua dapoED

TomC3 & Prince Po

If you like Hip-Hop and not Hip-Pop you should have both of these albums in your collection.

Founder of the I AM HIP-HOP group.

Bearbeitet von AbbottSupreme am 27. Sep. 2008, 4:58
    • Benutzer
    • 30. Apr. 2008, 14:02
    Sly's if you want me to stay

• im listening to one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time, Mobb Deep - The Infamous

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.