Vienna Art Orchestra - recomendations

• Vienna Art Orchestra - recomendations

Hi people!

Anybody knows some music like VAO's? Especially like the concerto piccollo's sound?
    I mean: Free, but yet somewhat... melodic? hehehe
    I can't find proper words to explain what I mean, but hopefully you'll get the picture.

Thanks in advance.

• Have you tried Either/Orchestra? They're from Boston. They're steeped a little deeper in the blues than VAO but they have that same attitude that VAO possesses: a big band that thinks like a small band. Check them out. They have ten or twelve recordings out, all worth several listens...

• jazzfann schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 22. Jan. 2012, 15:43

there are a lot of VAO recordings

There are over 30 Vienna Art Orchestra recordings so you have plenty to chose from, however the VAO is only one of several European large jazz ensembles. Other groups that you might to check out include:

The Danish group - Pierre Dorge & New Jungle Orchestra
    The German groups - The Berlin Contemporary Jazz Orchestra and Klaus Konig Orchestra
    The Italian group - The Italian Instabile Orchestra (more free than VAO)
    The Dutch group - The ICP Orchestra

From the US beside the excellent Either/Orchestra already mentioned one should check out the work of Gil Evans, Maria Schneider, Bill Holman and Gerald Wilson.

And most importantly do not forget the grand master of large group jazz, Duke Ellington.

Free Your Mind With Free Jazz

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.