Is it just me who think sex pistols suck?

• DiceMan schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 20. Mai. 2005, 23:53

Is it just me who think sex pistols suck?

Damn they got big and all the good real punk in new york got overclouded... listen to new york dolls instead!

I htink it was good when it was in new york and bands lik clash elvis costello and buzzcocks maneged to be themselves others thought it was a way to be... 3chord songs? damn it was about breaking rules mixing genras! bing yourself doing what you want! not being obnoxious spitting on your heroes beating everyone up? but then again destruction is a form of creation.

Make Love Like a Pair of Black Wizards!
  • it's just you... the Pistols was/is and always will be thebest punk band ever.

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 1. Jun. 2005, 22:03
    no, i agree that they are overrated and over appreciated by a bunch of kids who don't bother to look past the sex pistols, the clash and the ramones (all male fronted, big name punk bands that are overrated and unimportant in my opinion) when looking at punk as a genre.

• Sex Pistols was/is punk - everything else is punk rock... that's how it is.

• DiceMan schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 8. Jun. 2005, 20:49
    Sex Pistols was the comersial breakthrough of new york dolls in a more accepted package at a better time. But i must say i like the clash, theyve done lots of shitty songs but the ones that are good are really good. But i think nothin beats new york dolls if your talking pure punk. otherwise i must say richard hell and the voidoids or the buzzcocks. Suixie is a band i really like aswell. lots of great bands out there that are better or just as good as sex pistols.

• like a few of their tracks, not what i would consider my favourites.
    much more of a dead kennedys fan.

• Benutzer
    • 10. Jun. 2005, 10:40
    Sex Pistol were so great! It's depending on if you think Rotten's voice is great. I think this voice is amazing. Check PIL first release to confirm it!

• puzi schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 21. Jul. 2005, 2:55
    Pistols back then...12 percent talent, 88 percent propaganda, chaos and hell. It has led to The Sex Pistols Myth as I like to call it. They weren't good then, they're not sounding any better remastered and those who like them now are liking the myth...cos there's no musical talent to talk about! Sure enough, not everything is that bad, but they're NOT worth all the credit they've gotten.That's the way I see it... :D

right.....
    • Benutzer
    • 22. Jul. 2005, 17:00

Re:

Quoth puzi:
    Pistols back then...12 percent talent, 88 percent propaganda, chaos and hell. It has led to The Sex Pistols Myth as I like to call it. They weren't good then, they're not sounding any better remastered and those who like them now are liking the myth...cos there's no musical talent to talk about! Sure enough, not everything is that bad, but they're NOT worth all the credit they've gotten.That's the way I see it... :D

Whhaaoo... sorry to tell you but I'm a real punk fan and... propaganda, chaos and hell... well that's what punk is about!!! If you deny this to punk as a cultural movement, then I think you don't like punk.

And if you're waiting for remastered releases... well it tells a lot about your affection for punk music :-/

Of course Sex Pistols were propaganda... and that's why punk music exploded in the late 1976. This is a complete cultural movement: music, scene performance, graphism, clothes... And sorry to tell you that the Sex Pistol were a great part of it. They weren't the best band for sure. But they were the most well known! I deeply think that Bob Dylan wasn't the best folk singer of its time, but he was the media frontmen. Then we should owe him that. A lot of others might have started playing music by listening to him

About the Pistols a lot of facts participate in the myth's creation: newspapers headlines, banned of playing in a lot of cities etc... Then, everybody, even elderly people from UK, knew what punk was! Most of them had a really violent reaction to it. Then the Pistols and McLaren succeeded.

• puzi schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 28. Jul. 2005, 2:41

Re: Re:

Quoth HelioNaoned:
    Quoth puzi:

Whhaaoo... sorry to tell you but I'm a real punk fan and... propaganda, chaos and hell... well that's what punk is about!!! If you deny this to punk as a cultural movement, then I think you don't like punk.

And if you're waiting for remastered releases... well it tells a lot about your affection for punk music :-/

Of course Sex Pistols were propaganda... and that's why punk music exploded in the late 1976. This is a complete cultural movement: music, scene performance, graphism, clothes... And sorry to tell you that the Sex Pistol were a great part of it. They weren't the best band for sure. But they were the most well known! I deeply think that Bob Dylan wasn't the best folk singer of its time, but he was the media frontmen. Then we should owe him that. A lot of others might have started playing music by listening to him

About the Pistols a lot of facts participate in the myth's creation: newspapers headlines, banned of playing in a lot of cities etc... Then, everybody, even elderly people from UK, knew what punk was! Most of them had a really violent reaction to it. Then the Pistols and McLaren succeeded.

You really don't have to be sorry about anything...I don't think you understood my point. And I don't really understand what's all this is about. What exactly is your point???? You said it yourself, as a band, they weren't gratest band at that time. I never said that Pistols wasn't a part of anything, but I beleved that this was about their music. And it is true that most kids who listens to the Sex Pistols right now aren't really too fond of the music, but they hold on to it just cos it's The Pistols, sord of. I don't mind all the chaos and rioting, , but they just weren't great mucisians. It's as simple as that. They are myths, political icons sord of...A manifesto of their own, but NOT a great rock band!
    and when that is said, I guess I'm not such a Real Punk Fan as you.. ;) .i like to say that I like MUSIC....it's not the same thing..hehe...

___Jimmy Pursey's Innocent!!!!___

right.....
  • Re:

Quoth MurderCapital:
    Sex Pistols was/is punk - everything else is punk rock... that's how it is.

enough said they are the only punk band anything that follows isn't punk its punk rock

• tarbox schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 3. Aug. 2005, 16:51

Re:  

Quoth puzi:

you incorrect little snotnose fucker.

i kept them at arm's length too long because they were "too popular" (stupid stupid stupid reason for holding anything at arm's length, it's a bad habit i have), but over the past 20 years i've figured out what a dumbass i was not to go apeshit for them immediately.

what does musical talent have to do with this discussion at all? i had to go check, but yep. we're in the punkrock77 forum.

listen to Live at the Roxy. Listen to LAMF. Listen to the Germs live recordings. will you find glistening shiny showcases of polished musicianship? no you silly silly little person. bands may or may not have musical talent, but that has fuckall to do with their quality as a punkrock77 band, don't you fucking get it?

um, talent? they purposely fired talent to make room for sid.

just a bubble in a perfect paint job.
    • tarbox schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 4. Aug. 2005, 17:56

Re: Re: Re:  

Quoth puzi:
    ... but they just weren't great mucisians. It's as simple as that... but NOT a great rock band!

musicianship is only one dimension by which people might enjoy rock music, certainly not integral. if rock music were about great musicianship we'd all be listening to segovia records, or whatever.

rock might or might not be created by gifted or talented musicians, and they might or might not showcase that talent, and that craft might or not make a good rock song.

but rock has to be viscerally effective, it has to grab you and fuck you til you're sore.

and in punk rock - god damn. musicianship is totally irrelevant. it was anti-musicianship in the first place. it was a message that any fucking body could make rock without spangley jumpsuits and flashpots and lasershows and crappy preprogrammed market-oriented music.

besides, are you saying that the dolls were super-gifted musicians? i don't think so.

also your theory that they were eclipsed somehow by the pistols is just fucked. the dolls were breaking up in mid-1975, thunders and jerry nolan had already left.

and the dolls weren't all propaganda and shit? they even hired malcolm mclaren to help them get more press. MALCOLM MCLAREN.

shit. why do i bother.

Bearbeitet von tarbox am 7. Sep. 2005, 20:09
    • DiceMan schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 15. Aug. 2005, 0:55
    damn this discussion got lost. to the dickweed saying punk was and will allways be about propaganda, chaos and hell... well it might have something to do with hell, richard hell that is. Punk was just about being alternative coming up with new shit not givinge a piss about rules or anything.

musical talent might aswell be about coming up with new stuffs not neccesarily being a skilled musician.

Richard hell was punk, patti smith was punk, ramones although overrated to was punk, new york dolls was punk. then along came sex pistols and fucking destroyed everything turned it all into voilent shit mimiking the dolls music and dressing like richard hell. not just the dolls were eclipsed everybody was. the entire scene was changed to the worse.

nhoj_rabbit: thats the dumbest shit ever. to take an active example of punk, the fall. fuck they are the longest living and active punkband still keeping up and feisty.

• Dxmkrew, they were unimportant, except that they kick-started the genre, right?

New York Dolls were more glam rock and "proto" punk than actually punk.

Bearbeitet von TheUniversal am 24. Aug. 2005, 15:02
    • tarbox schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 7. Sep. 2005, 20:07

Re:

Quoth TheUniversal:
    Dxmkrew, they were unimportant, except that they kick-started the genre, right?

New York Dolls were more glam rock and "proto" punk than actually punk.

and malcolm mclaren worked for them before he worked for the pistols.

• ya uh sex pistols suck

alot of their stuff sucked , they werent even a real band , they were fake and like every album they made was basically a repeat.listen to x ray spex and the adolescents. good bands.

• Re: ya uh sex pistols suck

Quoth JesusEMartinez:
    they were fake and like every album they made was basically a repeat.

funny you say every album when they really just did ONE..

ONE album, music history changed forever...

• Re: Re: ya uh sex pistols suck

Quoth MurderCapital:
    Quoth JesusEMartinez:

no you see them come out with greatest hits and remixs , just look around.

• Re: Re: Re: ya uh sex pistols suck

Quoth JesusEMartinez:
    Quoth MurderCapital:
    Quoth JesusEMartinez:

no you see them come out with greatest hits and remixs , just look around.

ok, if you count the same songs as a repeat you are correct.

• szarka schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Sep. 2005, 1:23
    I think tarbox has already covered the important points, so I'll just sit here and roll my eyes instead... ;)

• cronoyuha schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 19. Nov. 2005, 16:11
    ah, I see. You say they are unimportant. What a stupid statement. Maybe you could say they are overrated (though I disagree) they are certainly NOT unimporant. They brought punk to millions of people. If you think being popular makes a punk band "not real punk" then fuck you.

• Re:

Quoth cronoyuha:
    ah, I see. You say they are unimportant. What a stupid statement. Maybe you could say they are overrated (though I disagree) they are certainly NOT unimporant. They brought punk to millions of people. If you think being popular makes a punk band "not real punk" then fuck you.

word!

• it's just you... the Pistols was/is and always will be thebest punk band ever.

Amen

• DiceMan schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 1. Dez. 2005, 22:45
    Look to clarify my original statement; Some of the members of sex pistols were or are still total fucking jerks just as punk should be? naww... just what they made punk to be. They made it shitty in a shitty way. Ramones did it their way or the highway, dolls just did it their way in a fun way, hell did it his way in an angry way, patti smith did it her way the frustrated way. Sex pistols did it in an unsophisticated, mindless, stupid, overly macho, pure destructive way. And thats what they brought to people. That is also why they destroyed punk. Before is was about doing it your way and no other way. It was about kicking in the door to the room were mainstream hung out at the time and just being yourself refusing to fit into their rediculous standards. and is was pretty agressive, but not that violent and dumb.

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.